Dating Websites and Phone Applications
Online dating websites and applications such as OkCupid, Coffee Meets Bagel, S’more, Tinder, Grindr, Jack’d, Hinge, Blued, HER, Taimi, Bumble are common ways that college students might meet or initiate relationships. When meeting new people online there are some safety strategies that someone can use to stay safer. Below are some suggestions for navigating these dating applications;
- Do some research to see what safety features are in place on the website or app that you are using. Look for platforms that allow you to report others, block people and hid yourself
- Many applications have launched video chat features, using video chat can be helpful to ensure the person is who they say they are and you can get to know them in a safer setting
- Limit or do not share personal information such as social media profiles, phone number, address and so on with the individual
- If you are meeting someone in person, plan your first meeting completely in a public setting, drive yourself, tell someone else about the details of your date (who, where, when you plan to return) and stay sober when first meeting
- Trust your instincts and intuition – if something feels off or is giving you negative vibes it is okay to follow your gut.