Members of the Syracuse University community can take steps to stay safer on and around campus. Here are a few strategies for enhancing your personal physical safety:
Never walk alone. While your chances of being a victim of a crime are actually very low, most street crime incidents occur at night and usually involve students walking alone or with just one other person.
Walk in groups of three or more, especially after dark. If that’s not possible, use the campus bus system or the safety escort services provided by DPS. Either a campus shuttle or the DPS safety escort services will get you home safely.
More safety tips:
- Download the Rave Guardian app, which acts as a “mobile blue light” that allows users to connect with the Emergency Communications Center at the touch of a button.
- Always lock your windows and doors, even if you are only going to be away from your room for a short period of time.
- Pay attention to your surroundings and maintain your personal space. Don’t wear headphones or earbuds!
- Keep your stuff with you! Never leave cell phones, laptops, wallets or other valuables behind – it only takes a few seconds for someone to walk away with them!
- Follow the rules of the road when walking across the street or bicycling/skate boarding near campus. Wear a helmet!
- If a person moves inside your comfort zone, move away. If that person persists, run.
- When on the street, walk facing oncoming traffic – a person walking with traffic can be followed or forced into a car more easily than a person walking against traffic.
- Be alert when leaving stores or a shopping mall. This is a time when criminals know you are carrying cash, credit cards, and/or valuable merchandise.
- Report lost or stolen ID cards to ID card services or to DPS.
- Place your name or an identifiable mark in your textbooks.
- Never volunteer information over the phone or the Internet to someone you don’t know. If someone calls demanding money, you should instantly be suspicious.
- Use a U-bolt locking device for your bicycle and register your bike with DPS.
Remove as many opportunities for crime to occur as possible. One of the best ways of doing this is to report any suspicious activity you see.
If something doesn’t look right or feel right, call the Department of Public Safety at 315.443.2224. This number will be answered at any time of the day or night, 365 days a year.
Syracuse University students, faculty, and staff are encouraged to download Rave Guardian, a free app created by Rave Mobile Safety, which the University already uses to send Orange Alerts via platforms such as email, phone and text, provides a number of safety tools designed to keep you safe. With Rave Guardian, users can stay connected and receive important campus notifications, communicate with campus safety, and gain access to resources needed most.