What is the Clothesline Project?
The Clothesline Project is a visual display of shirts created by individuals impacted by sexual violence, relationship violence, stalking, or other forms of interpersonal violence—allowing them to share their experiences with others in our campus community. The Clothesline Project has been a tradition at Syracuse University for more than 10 years, and the shirts pictured in the online gallery below have been collected throughout this time.
Please note: the shirts can be triggering for individuals. We would like to remind people to take care of themselves. If you would like to speak with a confidential resource, we recommend connecting with one of these resources:
- On-Campus: The Sexual and Relationship Violence Response team can be contacted 24/7 at 315.443.8000.
- Off-Campus: Vera House can be contacted 24/7 at 315.468.3260. A webchat line is also available.
Shirts will be added to the online gallery throughout the year. If you are interested in contributing to the project:
- In-person contribution: Completed shirts may be dropped-off at the Barnes Center at The Arch Health Promotion front desk. Shirts, fabric markers and paint are available for University community members to pick up, while supplies last. Please return unused supplies when submitting the completed shirt.
- Virtual contribution: To participate, complete the Clothesline Project Form and the Take Back the Night Planning Committee will make a shirt on your behalf.
- Learn more: Consider attending programming to further educate yourself on sexual and relationship violence. A great way to do this is looking at workshops offered in the Wellness Leadership Institute including Bystander Intervention 101 and 102, Rape Culture 101, Sex Is Like Pizza (learn all about consent) and more!
- Visibly show your support: Post about how you strive to take back the night to your social media accounts using “#IWillTBTN by…” and share your posts with us by tagging @BeWellSU. Or use the hashtags for April, Sexual Assault Awareness Month #SUGoesTeal and October, Dating Violence Awareness Month #SUGoesPurple.
- Stay updated: Join the Sexual and Relationship Violence SEPT Listserv today to learn If you are more about sexual and relationship violence prevention programming and initiatives.
- Donate: Purchase a 2021 Take Back The Night shirt in the Campus Store or Campus Pharmacy (while supplies last) and/or donate directly to the Syracuse University Sexual and Relationship Violence Survivor Support Fund.